Saturday, September 7, 2013

Apple-Cheddar Cupcakes

Awhile back I set out to create a new fun flavor for a cupcake. Since it was mid-July I wanted something fresh and light...but ultimately my love of fall flavors won out. Since apple and pumpkin have pretty much become the staples of the season I wanted to change it up just a bit. So here is my Apple-Cheddar Cupcake with Ginger Cream Cheese Buttercream. 

First, I made the chunky apple filling. Ooey-gooey bubbling brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and apples. I'm not sure why ginger was all over my mind that day but I'm glad it was, yum.




Next, came the cupcakes.
(I forgot a picture of them before they were filled..but you get the idea.)
If you look below you can see those big chunks...thats cheddar.
yum. cheeeeeeeese.






Then I cored the cupcakes and filled them up with my chunky apple filling. I made a really quick cream cheese frosting, adding in cinnamon and ginger because those were my go-to spices that day. It was pretty hot in my kitchen from the oven so my frosting was a bit soft. So instead of getting out a bag and tips I just slapped on some of that soft (but still delicious) frosting and cut up some little garnishes to cover it up.


Then I did what any rational person would do...went out to the back yard and had a mini photo shoot for my cupcakes. I mean rational people would do that right? RIGHT? 





 Oh and now lets try to get a little more of your curves with the sun from the other side. There we go, show off that cheddar!! 



Work it, Work it..Let me see those spices!!!
Ok, maybe I need to get out of the house a little farther than the back yard.








In the end, my favorite picture was this close-up. You can see the frosting melting in just a bit, the chunky apple filling is soaking into some of the cupcake, the chunks of cheddar are just enough to catch you off guard but not distract you and the cake had a caramelized sugary top and super tender inside that was just enough contrast to be Ah-maaazing.

The apple and cheddar garnishes are probably the only thing I would change. I think the apple's look a bit like a slice of cucumber here and the cheddar sticks in an "X" just look odd. But I have a super fun (and pretty) idea for next time :)